By: Jennifer Devitt on April 5th, 2015
7 tricks I use to survive when Monday sneaks up on you and smacks you in the head!
Mondays. They certainly seem to come around quickly don't they? Even Monday's after a long weekend. Sometimes those are the worst. They come around quickly and smack you in the back of the head when you're not looking, am I right?
I am sure there are people out there who love Mondays. Some may be indifferent to them. Regardless, starting the week with a bad Monday can make for a week of sour apples, crabbiness, bad presentations, rough meetings and just nothing good in general. So, you walk into your office with a bad case of the Mondays, now what? Below are some things I try to get past it.
1. Music. I have various playlists. Typically I don't choose my music by my mood. I listen to whatever I am currently into mostly or if I am working out then I have specific lists. But, on days when I need a boost, I will pick upbeat songs. Often times when I have a case of the Monday's I will go to songs from the 80's or pick songs that remind me of the beach. Some could be Retro 80's like songs from Psychedelic Furs, Howard Jones, The Cure, Echo & The Bunnymen and more. Or, I could blast Sun Daze by Florida Georgia Line, Knee Deep or Chicken Fried by Zac Brown and so on.
2. Entertainment news. If I am really in a funk I will read up on entertainment news. There is always some funny celebrity story to make me shake my head and move on.
3. Shop. I can take a few minutes to browse my favorite online shops just to clear my head. Find a few cute items to add to my wish list or shopping cart for later, perhaps as a reward for surviving Monday!
4. Read. I will take extra time to read blogs. I will hit my regulars or visit some new ones that were perhaps shared in my Twitter or Linkedin feed. Sometimes I find a new favorite or find inspiration for a new blog topic.
5. Make new connections. Sometimes, to clear my head I will hit my social media accounts and find some new people to follow and engage with.
6. Get creative. Sometimes I take to our website and think of things to update, content to reboot. I will take some time to think if our message is getting across in the way we intended. I look around to see if we have updates or news that can be added to our site. I will look at tech news to see how what we are doing is measuring up. I will try to think of ways we can add emerging tech to our services and offer our clients more cutting edge programming development.
7. Put on my big girl pants. Ok, sometimes we are just having an off day. And, when that happens I realize I need to get over it and put my big girl pants on and get on with it. Sure, I may not be fun to be around, but stuff needs to get done.
When was the last time you had a case of the Mondays? As I am sure you can surmise, today is one of those days for me. I usually cannot pin point why, and thankfully it doesn't happen often. How do you cope with Monday's or bad days in general? Around here it helps that Dave picks up on it pretty quick and on days like today has already put the bat signal out to the kids via text message to stay out of my way! Ha! So, tell me what can turn your sour mood around? Got a good joke for me or a link to a funny video? Hit me with your best shot!