Tech news, tech news and more tech news. If it seems as though lately all the news is tech related, perhaps it's because tech is infiltrating all aspects of business. On that note, I have a Wednesday tech news roundup for you. I am toying with the idea of making this a weekly installment, tune it to see if it sticks around!
1. Makeup brands embrace augmented reality. Beauty retailer Sephora launched in January "Sephora Virtual Artist" allowing customers to test products via "Modiface" a virtual makeover technology company. Sephora is hoping the new app will boost e-commerce sales conversions.
2. What are you flying over? Ever been in an airplane, gazing out your window and wonder what is below you? Well, Shane Loefller received a grant from the National Science Foundation to do just that. His app "Flyover Country' allows you to track your flight with GPS - offline, no wifi required! Pretty cool!
3. IBM Watson analyses Star Wars. Wow. Watson has been busy digesting first Harry Potter and now Star Wars. Watson analyzed key characters and described their traits.
4. Instagram algorithm uproar. If you use Instagram, chances are that your feed in the last few days has been plagued by users begging you to turn your notifications on for them so you don't miss any of their earth-shattering updates. Well, turns out most people were overreacting. Instagram, in an effort to calm its user's nerves, issued this statement via Twitter:
We're listening and we assure you nothing is changing with your feed right now. We promise to let you know when changes roll out broadly.
5. MLB partners with Apple. So long to clipboards and binders in the MLB dugouts, Apple scored a major deal to provide all the teams with iPad Pros! Each iPad will come with software "MLB Dugout" which the MLB and Apple built together. The iPads will provide stats, videos of previous games, batter versus hitter match-ups and more. Now that we can all breathe a sigh of relief that our Instagram feed won't forever be altered we can go on with our week.
Did you read any interesting tech news this week? If so, feel free to share it with me! If you are interested in this becoming a weekly installment, let me know by tweeting at me "Hey Jenn, I am enjoying tech news Wednesday! Enjoy the rest of your week and I will see you on Friday for the "IT Thing" and April Fools Day!