By: Jennifer Devitt on December 20th, 2015
My top 15 holiday songs to kick off Christmas week. Happy Holidays!
"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas"... well actually, in Chicago it is NOT! How can Christmas be this Friday already? I hope you are all prepared. I am pretty good on that end. At least with anything that I can do in advance.
So, the folks in the weather industry have been discussing on all the weather segments how this may be the warmest Christmas week in our lifetime! Being a Chicago native, I have to say this is just weird. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not a snow person, don't like ice and well I have a teenager driver so driving in snow is another concern. But it just doesn't feel like December, yet alone Christmas week. So, as discussed on some of the Friday blogs, I am going out of my way to try to make it feel like Christmas. I have been listening to lots of holiday music and watching all the specials I can. That is when Dave (aka Scrooge) isn't around to complain. On that note, I thought I would share some of my favorite holiday music.
1. Jingle Bells. Barenaked Ladies style of course.
2. Rockin Around the Christmas Tree. Specifically the Brenda Lee version that is heard in Home Alone.
3. Santa Claus is coming to Town. By the Boss of course.
4. I Wish Everyday Could Be Like Christmas. By Bon Jovi
5. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home). By U2
6. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus. John Mellencamp
7. Winter Wonderland. Michael Buble.
8. Last Christmas. Wham!
11. Christmas Time is Here. A Charlie Brown Christmas.
12. White Christmas. Bing Crosby
13. It's Beginning to Look Like Christmas. Perry Como
14. Christmas Canon. Trans-Siberian Orchestra. THIS FABULOUS!
15. Do They Know it's Christmas? Band Aid 1984. Sure there are many other covers of it that are great (Barenaked Ladies, Glee cast), but nothing tops the original. Being a teenager in the 80's, and an 80's music fan I remember when this debuted. I played it on repeat forever. All versions support famine relief or Ebola relief.
Many of my favorites above can be found on the spectacular "A Very Special Christmas Volume 1". Proceeds from this go to the Special Olympics. Another favorite is Barenaked Ladies: Barenaked for the Holidays. What songs put you in the holiday mood? Even when I am doing the dreaded task of adjusting lights and fluffing my Christmas tree if I put these songs on tension instantly eases. These are just some of my favorites. I love Christmas music in all forms, modern, classical, instrumental, country, etc. In December of 2013, I did a Best Holiday Movie blog. If you're looking for some holiday fun, check out the lists. So, grab a hot chocolate, peppermint mocha, egg nog or your holiday drink of choice and listen to some of my favorites. If you have some to share, I am always up for new things.