Top Ten Best Holiday Movies.
In keeping with the holiday theme on the week before Christmas when everyone is either rushing to finish work or looking for a distraction, I thought I would do a fun blog. So, for today's edition let's talk holiday movies. Below I will give you a list of my Top 10 Favorite Holiday movies and why. I would love for you to share yours or compare our lists.
I just love holiday movies. Anything from classic cartoons like Charlie Brown, Rudolph, and Frosty to classics like It's a Wonderful Life to modern day classics. I love funny ones, sentimental ones, and ones with morals or life lessons. Picking favorites is tough sometimes, let alone saying why you would rank one over another. But I am going to give it a shot. So, without further adieu here goes:
1. Home Alone. I know, I know over all the others you might ask? But this one just gets me. I love Kevin and all the big family antics. Not to mention, drooling over the house! I was floored to read this blog talking about it being sadistic of all things. Geez, get a grip! I love that Kevin learns his neighbor is not who he imagines him to be (lesson don't judge a book by its cover). I love the big family rushing around before a trip (happens here all the time!). Overall it's just plain fun!
2. Miracle on 34th Street. This is THE ONLY movie I can say it can either be the 1947 classic version with Edmund Gwenn or the 1994 version with Richard Attenborough. I just love the pure innocence of this movie. The lesson that you don't have to "see" to believe. That faith in something and love in your heart can mean more than anything.
3. It's a Wonderful Life. For me, deciding to rank this #3 vs #2 was tough. These two movies rank almost equal for me. I love the romance and humor in this. I love that George ultimately realizes you don't have to have your name in lights to be a hero. I love that everyone touches someone else's life and even a little gesture can make an impact on another.
4. A Christmas Story. Come on how can you not laugh at Ralphie in the bunny suit or the singing of Deck the Halls in the Chinese restaurant. And the lamp and the Bumpus hounds!! There is a reason it has a 24 hour marathon year after year folks!
5. The Nightmare Before Christmas. Ok, if you don't know, I am a bit of a Jack Skellington fanatic. Most people who haven't seen this film think it's only a Halloween movie...not so! Experiencing Christmas thru Jack's eyes and seeing his impression of the importance of the holiday is awesome. If you have never given it a chance, do it, you won't regret it! And, no it's not too scary for kids. Kids love it!
6. A Charlie Brown Christmas. Who doesn't love Snoopy and friends around the holidays? I love the soundtrack, the tiny overlooked tree. Sigh, it reminds me of being a kid.
7. The Santa Clause. This is just plain fun. Scott Calvin learning to be a kid again and not a cynic. Charlie's determination to get everyone to believe in Santa. The cookie- cocoa dispenser, heck I wish my car had one too!
8. The Year without a Santa Claus. Heat Miser & Snow Miser. This classic is just plain fun and never gets old. My kids love it.
9. How The Grinch Stole Christmas. The 1966 TV version, not the Jim Carrey remake. Who doesn't want to visit Whoville? How can you not love when the Grinch's heart grows?
10. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer/Frosty. Ok I know that's 2 movies. But I can't list one and not the other. Who doesn't love these classics about misfits and childhood friends like Frosty? Come on tell me you don't love the songs? These two classics are still loved today by children and adults alike.
Honorable mention is The Polar Express. Not only is it a visually stunning film. The story is heartwarming. Can you hear Santa's bell ring?
So, there you have it, my Top 10. Tell me what am I missing? What would your Top 10 be? If you haven't seen a movie on my list, give a try. I would love to hear your review and see if it ends up on your list of favorites. If you missed our annual holiday blog, check it out here. And once again, SYDCON would like to extend warm holiday wishes to you all!